home homenewsgallerymusicbiostorecontact


Weblog Archives
    
Tuesday, July 25, 2006

running aron's

i can still taste L.A. on my lips. i had such an incredible time! my only disappointment happened within the first 30 minutes of being there. i was driving up Highland, excited to pop into the best used cd store in the world, only to find Aron's Records had closed down. i can't even begin to express my sorrow. of the 6000 cd's i own, 1000 of them came from Aron's.

the following weekend, The New York Times ran a story about the widespread demise of used cd stores. i guess the fact that i finally found the one cd that had eluded me for 12 years (Vanessa Williams' "Running Back To You" Remixes) was a sign that the gig is up.

for me, it's much more than finding hidden treasures. it's also a sociological study of a city's intellectual DNA. what better way to learn the myths of a region than to physically touch & dissect what they've discarded? visiting used cd stores in cities all over the world put me on the fast track to knowing who the local people really are. it made me feel like an audio archeologist.

now, with no used cd stores to visit, i guess i'll have to study a region the old fashion way... by hanging out in the restroom of the local truckstop.

.

|




2009 RuCo, Inc.—All Rights Reserved

    

Appearances