home homenewsgallerymusicbiostorecontact


Weblog Archives
    
Tuesday, January 27, 2004

AND THE AWARD GOES TO...

“Join us this Monday Jan. 26 for Club Sissy, with scheduled performers Raja, Jazzmun, Tara Nova, Kiwi [Miss Sissy 2004], and, of course, Viva Sex, with DJ Josh Peace.”

the preceding was part of an email newsletter that i get every week, announcing the happenings at my favorite HOLLYWOOD night club called PEANUTS. i brought JONNO down there two weeks ago, but before that, i hadn’t been there in several months. tonight, i decided to go because of the stellar line-up they had performing, and the fact that it was CLUB SISSY, a once a month special event that emulates the house/ball culture of MANHATTAN.

i called BILLY B. to see if he wanted to go with me and he said “sure!”, so we got to the club, located at 7969 SANTA MONICA BLVD, with plenty of time to check out all of the silicone enhanced, gorgeous creatures who frequent the joint, and the hot as hell “tranny chasers” before the show got started. well, the show was a stoned gas, honey! it was totally on par with the best of the ol’ school shows i grew up on in ATLANTA, GA.

at the end of the curtain call, VIVA announced that they were now going to have a special presentation that was “long overdue”, and that RAJA would do the honors. RAJA took the microphone and proceeded to tell the story of when she first became aware of me, back when she was in high school, and what a profound effect it had on her. she then went on to list some of my career achievements, including the movies, record deals, endorsement deals, tv show, world tours..etc.

all the while, i’ll have you know, i knew nothing of this in advance. in fact, i was at the club completely by chance. no one had asked me to come down tonight.

in closing, RAJA was handed a beautiful crystal disc, five inches wide and about an inch and a half thick, with a silver star embedded in it. she then said “please help me welcome to the stage, the first ever recipient of THE SISSY ICON AWARD...RUPAUL!”.

i was beside myself with joy and gratitude, and completely surprised by the honor bestowed upon me. i thanked everyone involved, and let them know that this tribute means more to me than any other because it comes from my girls. i went on to say that i accept THE SISSY ICON AWARD on behalf of every queen who ever had a dream...you can make it come true, if you want it bad enough.

later, DAVID McMILLAN, the man who started SISSY, told me that they had been holding on to this award for well over a month, waiting for me to show up so that they could surprise me. and surprise me they did.

as i sit here at my desk, typing this blog, i gaze over at the beautifully crafted crystal keepsake with pride, as i read the engraving that says SISSY ICON...RUPAUL.

.

|




2009 RuCo, Inc.—All Rights Reserved

    

Appearances